Ailing 85-year-old Kurdish woman in Turkish jail: Take me to my village before I die

Sise Bingöl, an 85-year-old Kurdish woman who was arrested by the Turkish government led by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and was returned to prison after an eight-day hospitalization, reportedly told her daughter during a weekly visit, “Get me out of here and take me to my village before I die.”

Bingol, who is serving a four year, two month sentence at Tarsus Type T Closed Women’s Prison, reportedly continues to suffer from serious medical problems.

Bingol was hospitalized at the Mersin University Faculty of Medicine Hospital and was issued a report that states her health makes her unfit for prison, on November 2. Bingol was treated at the hospital for eight days and was released after the procedures were completed, despite her condition not improving.

However, Bingöl was sent back to the Tarsus Type T Closed Women’s Prison, and her daughter Hasbike Kanmaz’s request to accompany her was rejected by the prosecutor’s office.

According to the pro-Kurdish Fırat news agency (ANF), Bingöl met with her daughter during a weekly visit and sent her regards to all who showed solidarity with her. Bingöl reportedly said, “If you can, get me out of here and take me to my village before I die.”

Kanmaz said: “My mother couldn’t have blood tests and routine examinations because she was fatigued. I told her to have the tests done so we can get the medical report. She is supported by other prisoners in there. Her ward mates tend to her every need. My mother is calling for awareness among the public. She wants to get out at once.”

It was reported that Bingöl is unable to see to her daily needs and is only able to cope with the help of other prisoners.

Bingöl, who has been in prison since 2017, was sentenced to four years, two months on charges of aiding the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK). Despite a previous report stating that she could not be held in prison, her petition requesting release was denied. Bingöl, who had been released after her first hearing in June 2016, was again sentenced to jail in April 2017.

Take a second to support Stockholm Center for Freedom on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!