Woman sentenced to 6 years in prison, jailed with 7-month-old son

Turkish woman H.G.D. was jailed along with her 7-months-old baby.

A Turkish woman, identified with the initials H.G.D., was jailed along with her 7-months-old baby after the Supreme Court of Appeals upheld the decision sentencing her to 6 years and 3 months in prison.

Having spent 1 year behind bars, H.G.D was released in early 2013 as part of an investigation into the Kurdistan Communities Union (KCK).

H.G.D. was put behind bars once again with her newborn baby this time around, on Feb. 23.

According to her husband C.Z.A., the judge who sentenced the woman in the first place has also been arrested over terror charges as part of Turkey’s post-coup witch hunt into the Gülen movement.

This is not the first time Turkey puts mother with baby behind the bars. Filiz Y., a 30-year-old woman who gave birth at Mersin City Hospital last month, had been detained over alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Even, a group of police officers had went to the hospital and demanded Filiz’s discharge as soon as she delivered her baby. A video footage had showed the moment plainclothes policemen detain Filiz and take her to the police station for interrogation.

A similar scandal had been witnessed in Denizli, a western province of Turkey. Police had waited at a Denizli hospital to detain a pregnant, Gül Tezer, just after she gives a birth.

Also Turkish police had detained a woman hours after delivering a baby. On Jan. 30, Fadime Günay, who gave birth to a baby boy late on Jan. 29, was taken into custody.

Police had waited outside Antalya’s Alanya Başkent Hospital for hours in order to detain Günay, whose husband was recently taken into custody over alleged links to the Gülen movement, said a tweet by former Turkish parliamentarian Feyzi İşbaşaran.

After her interrogation at a police station, Günay was remanded to court with her baby, who was taken by relatives when she entered the courtroom. The court ordered Günay to spend one more day in the hospital. (SCF with turkeypurge.com) Feb. 25, 2017

Take a second to support Stockholm Center for Freedom on Patreon!
Become a patron at Patreon!